Coronavirus: Internet Access Assistance
There are many low income families that do not have access to internet in our community. With children learning by distance for the remainder of the school year, not having internet access is a major obstacle to learning. There are resources available to the community that can help eligible households connect.
Internet Essentials from Comcast
SOURCE: Internet Essentials from Comcast
Internet Essentials is a program for families and other low-income households who currently do not subscribe to Internet at home access to affordable high-speed Internet home for $9.95 + tax per month.
Right now New Comcast customers will receive two months of free service in response to the Coronavirus emergency. New Internet Essentials customers will receive two free months of Internet service if they apply by April 30, 2020. After promotion, regular rates apply. For all new and existing Internet Essentials customers, the speed of the program’s Internet service has increased to 25 Mbps downstream and 3 Mbps upstream. Households with outstanding debt owed to Comcast may be eligible for Internet Essentials. We are waiving this qualification if you apply and are approved by 5/13/20. After 5/13/20, standard eligibility rules apply.
Current Xfinity Internet customers are not eligible for Internet Essentials.
Four steps to apply.
STEP 1 – Qualify. You may qualify for Internet Essentials if:
- You are eligible for public assistance programs such as the National School Lunch Program, Housing Assistance, Medicaid, SNAP, SSI and others.
- You live in an area where Comcast Internet service is available.
- You are not an existing Xfinity Internet customer and have not subscribed to Comcast Internet within the last 90 days.
- You have no outstanding debt to Comcast that is less than one year old. Households with outstanding debt more than one year old may still be eligible.*
*Due to the Coronavirus emergency, households with outstanding debt owed to Comcast may be eligible for Internet Essentials. We are waiving this qualification if you apply and are approved by 5/13/20. After 5/13/20, standard eligibility rules apply.
STEP 2 – Click here to apply
STEP 3 – Get approved. Comcast will review your completed application and let you know through SMS, email or snail mail if you are approved. If we need documents the fastest way to submit is to take a picture with your phone and upload right in the application!
STEP 4 – If approved, you could have a home Internet connection in 5-7 business days. Use the step-by-step guide included with your Internet equipment (which includes a modem and WiFi router) to set up your service.
Access from AT&T
In response to the public health crisis, Access from AT&T is temporarily:
- Offering two months of free service to new customers who order Access by April 30, 2020. $5/mo or $10/mo thereafter, depending on your speed.
- Expanding eligibility based on income and to households participating in National School Lunch Program/Head Start (Household income based on 135% or less than the federal poverty guidelines)
- Waiving all home internet data overage fees
Mediacom Connect 2 Compete
Mediacom wants to help you and your family bring the power of the internet home for $9.95 + tax. You can start the application process by clicking the link below or, call one of their representatives at 1-855-904-2225. The person completing this application MUST be at least 18 years old.
Your home may qualify if:
- Mediacom offers internet service in your community or area
- You have at least one student in grades K-12 living at home
- At least one child qualifies for free or reduced-price school lunch through the National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
- You are not a current Mediacom internet customer and have NOT subscribed to our internet service in the past 90 days
- You do not have an outstanding Mediacom bill or unreturned equipment
Cox Connect 2 Compete
Home internet is now an essential tool for today’s education. Through Connect2Compete, Cox opens a world of opportunity for families by providing low-cost, home internet with wifi—for only $9.95 + tax per month.
To qualify for the Cox Connect2Compete affordable internet program, your household must have at least one K-12 student and participate in a government assistance program.* Applicants may need to provide documentation for eligibility.
Effective Monday, March 16, we are providing:
- Limited-time, first two months free of Connect2Compete service, $9.95/month thereafter.
- Until May 15, 2020, we are providing phone and remote desktop support through Cox Complete Care at no charge to provide peace of mind and ease for technology needs.
- Resources for discounted, refurbished equipment through our association with PCs for People.
- A Learn from Home toolkit for schools, including instructions on how to fast-track eligible students without internet access: