UWSWA Holds 2nd Annual Volunteer Awards Reception
On Tuesday, May 1, 2018, United Way of Southwest Alabama (UWSWA) held its annual awards reception to recognize and celebrate the people, organizations, and workplaces that work tirelessly and collectively to make change happen in Southwest Alabama.
“Volunteers are vital to United Way and volunteer involvement is a critical and irreplaceable asset in making long-term change happen in our region,” said UWSWA President & CEO Jill Chenoweth. “When we partner together, we amplify each other’s voice and lend crucial muscles to each other’s efforts. This reception allows us to shine the spotlight on the individuals, agencies, and companies that enable United Way and our partner agencies to successfully make an impact on our community.”
The event, hosted by Region’s Bank in the RSA Tower, marks the second year UWSWA has set aside a special reception to acknowledge the collective power of volunteers. In honor of the evening’s celebration, May 1, 2018, was declared United Way Appreciation Dayby Mobile Mayor Sandy Stimpson and United Way Volunteer Recognition Dayby the Mobile County Commission.
“The success of UWSWA and our partners could not be accomplished without the help and support of the community as a whole,” said Chenoweth. “We wish to show our gratitude to everyone who has chosen to Live United in our region by dedicating a day to them.”
During the event, the following individuals and companies received special recognition:
Volunteer Heart of Gold Awards for Mobile County:
- Michelle Roof and Jeremy Smith, Airbus Foundation Flying Challenge
- Roma Stovall Hanks, Via Health, Fitness, & Enrichment Center
- Hendrik Snow, South Alabama Volunteer Lawyers Program
- Michael A. Smith, The Salvation Army of Coastal Alabama
- O. Mozingo Community Service Award – Winston Waite, USW Local 9-562
- Red Leachman Award – Heat & Frost Insulators Local 55
Outstanding Achievement Awards:
- Outstanding Community Partner – Drug Education Council
- Volunteer of the Year – Clinton Johnson, Alabama Power
2017 Campaign Awards:
- Outstanding Campaign Coordinator – Lenzie Overton, Evonik
- Outstanding Small Business – Robert Hall & Associates
- Outstanding Mid-Size Business – Hancock-Whitney Bank
- Outstanding Campaign – Austal USA
- Spirit of the Gulf Coast – Alabama Power
The evening reception also marked the completion of United Way’s 2017 campaign. Commissioner Ludgood, UWSWA’s 2017 Campaign Chair, announced United Way’s campaign raised $3,566,305, and thanked the companies and individuals who made contributions that help provide a better tomorrow for countless individuals and families in Southwest Alabama.
The awards reception was sponsored by Blue Cross Shield of Alabama, Kimberly-Clark, Regions Bank, Renaissance Battle House Hotel & Spa, and Publix.