Hurricane Sally

Help change the lives of those impacted by Hurricane Sally by donating today.

Find Help

We understand this may be a stressful time. If you, or someone you know, needs assistance, United Way 211 is the quickest and most comprehensive way to connect with the services and assistance available to our community. Dial 2-1-1 (888.421.1266) from your phone or visit for more information.

Click here for Mobile County Resources

Click here for Baldwin County Resources

Find Help –

Hurricane Sally Home Cleanup Hotline: 800.451.1954.

If you need assistance with damage from Hurricane Sally, call the number above and ask for help. Crisis Cleanup will connect you with volunteers from local relief organizations, community groups, and faith communities who may be able to assist with:

  • Fallen trees
  • Drywall, flooring, and appliance removal
  • Tarping roofs
  • Mold mitigation

All services are free, but service is not guaranteed due to the overwhelming need. The hotline will remain open through October 9, 2020.

Note: Crisis Cleanup CANNOT assist with social services such as food, clothing, shelter, insurance, or questions about FEMA registration. Volunteers work free of charge and provide the tools and equipment necessary to complete the work.

Are you looking for a meaningful way to impact our community?

United Way Volunteer Connect has a variety of volunteer needs for individuals and groups to help with Hurricane Sally response efforts. To find a volunteer opportunity, visit


The World Central Kitchen has volunteer opportunities to serve food in Baldwin County. Morning and afternoon shifts are available. For more, visit

Amazon Smile

You can help in Hurricane Sally Relief while social distancing. Shop for items on the Hurricane Sally Relief Wish List on Amazon Smile and help our agencies provide your donated items to their clients.

Shop now.

United Way of Southwest Alabama has worked with the community throughout Hurricane Sally’s Relief and Recovery to provide timely, reliable information and resources to our partners and to other local nonprofits to help meet the growing needs in Southwest Alabama.

Download the United Way Hurricane Sally Infographic – UWSWA Hurricane Sally Infographic – 10.7

Are you looking for a meaningful way to impact our community?

United Way Volunteer Connect has a variety of volunteer needs for individuals and groups to help with Hurricane Sally response efforts. To find a volunteer opportunity, visit


The World Central Kitchen has volunteer opportunities to serve food in Baldwin County. Morning and afternoon shifts are available. For more, visit

Hurricane Sally Relief Donations

Shoe Station donated $20,000 for Hurricane Sally Relief.

Click here for the full story.

The Regions Foundation donated $150,000 for Hurricane Sally Relief.

Click here for the full story.

Hancock Whitney donated $15,000 for Hurricane Sally Relief.

Spire Energy donated $10,000 for Hurricane Sally Relief.

Chevron Corporation donated $15,000 to Hurricane Sally Relief.

Click here for the full story. 

NBC TV 15 viewers and iHeart Radio listeners donated $5,575 for Hurricane Sally Relief through a special virtual telethon on Wednesday, September 29, 2020.

AM/NS Calvert donated $5,000 for Hurricane Sally Relief.

City of Mobile District 5 Councilman Joel Daves donated $5,000 to Hurricane Sally Relief.

Individual Hurricane Donors

  • Melissa Burleson
  • Andrea Lamplugh
  • Amy Mitchell
  • Steve Sanders
  • Melinda Stephens

Individual FEMA Disaster Assistance – Baldwin, Escambia, and Mobile Counties.

UPDATE: Alabama has received a Major Declaration for Individual Assistance in Mobile, Baldwin, and Escambia counties. 

FEMA Disaster Assistance can help support your recovery from a major disaster. To apply for disaster assistance or for more information on the types of assistance available, please visit or call 800-621-3362 / TTY 800-462-7585.

Not sure if you are in an area declared for disaster assistance?  Visit and enter your address to find out if your area is declared for Individual Assistance.

Our disaster assistance partners can provide help with immediate needs FEMA is not authorized to provide.

Emergency Medical Assistance: Please dial 9-1-1.

Immediate Needs: Contact your local emergency management agency for help or referral to trusted disaster assistance partners serving your area. The FEMA Helpline (1-800-621-3362 / TTY (800) 462-7585)  may be able to provide additional referrals.

There is also support for individuals with disabilities, or access and functional needs.

FEMA – Hurricane Sally (DR-4563-AL)

Type of Assistance FEMA Provides

Home/Primary Residence: We provide housing assistance to individuals and families who have lost their homes as a result of a presidentially-declared disaster.  If you are a renter or homeowner you may qualify for assistance.  By law, FEMA assistance cannot duplicate the assistance you receive from your insurance company, but you may receive assistance for items not covered by insurance.  If your home was impacted by a major disaster we recommend that you apply for assistance.

Secondary Home: We do not offer assistance for your secondary home. Federal guidelines only allow us to provide housing assistance when your primary residence is impacted by a presidentially-declared disaster.

Business: We do not offer assistance for small businesses impacted by a presidentially-declared disaster.  However, we do partner with the Small Business Administration (SBA), which offers low interest loans for business damages.  Learn more about the business loan application process.

Other Needs Assistance: We offer disaster assistance for some of your other disaster-caused expenses including, medical and dental, child care, funeral and burial, essential household items, moving and storage, vehicle, and some clean-up items.

Housing Options

Rental Assistance: Offers temporary financial help so disaster survivors have somewhere to live while they make plans for permanent housing.

  • Who may be eligible? A homeowner or renter whose primary residence is determined to be uninhabitable after a FEMA inspection, who has housing needs not covered by insurance and who needs to relocate while repairs are under way.

Transitional Sheltering Assistance: Pays room and tax costs at participating hotels for disaster survivors.

  • Who may be eligible? A survivor whose primary home is uninhabitable or inaccessible due to the disaster and who has housing needs not covered by insurance. Survivors do not need to wait for a FEMA housing inspection to be considered eligible.

Home Repairs: Helps disaster survivors make basic repairs so that their homes are safe, sanitary and functional.

  • Who may be eligible? A homeowner whose primary residence is determined to be uninhabitable after a FEMA inspection and who has a housing need not covered by insurance.

Direct Temporary Housing: Provides temporary travel trailers or manufactured housing units to eligible survivors

  • Who may be eligible? Trailers and manufactured housing units are a temporary solution for survivors whose primary home is uninhabitable, have uninsured housing needs and have no other practical temporary housing options available within a reasonable commuting distance from their primary residence. Renters whose pre-disaster rental is determined to have major damage or is destroyed may also be eligible.


Other Needs

Assistance is available for necessary expenses and serious needs caused by the disaster. This includes:

  • Disaster-caused child care expenses.
  • Disaster-caused medical and dental expenses.
  • Disaster-caused funeral and burial expenses.
  • Disaster-caused damages to essential household items (room furnishings, appliances); clothing; tools (specialized or protective clothing and equipment) required for your job; necessary educational materials (computers, school books, supplies).
  • Fuel for the primary heat source (heating oil, gas).
  • Clean-up items (wet/dry vacuum, dehumidifier).
  • Disaster-caused damage to an essential vehicle.
  • Moving and storage expenses caused by the disaster (moving and storage of personal property while repairs are being made to the primary residence, and returning property to the primary address).
  • Other necessary expenses or serious needs as determined by FEMA.
  • Other expenses that are authorized by law.

What If I Have Insurance?

Warning Status – You will have up to 12 months from the date you registered with FEMA to submit insurance information for review. We cannot provide money to individuals or households for losses already covered by insurance, but you do not need to wait to apply for FEMA assistance.

If you have not already contacted your insurance agent to file a claim, please do this as soon as possible. Failure to file a claim with your insurance company may affect your eligibility for assistance. After filing a claim, if any of the following situations occur, we may be able to provide some assistance:

Your insurance settlement is delayed. Delayed means a decision on your insurance settlement has been delayed longer than 30 days from the time you filed the claim. If a decision on your insurance settlement has been delayed, you will need to write a letter to FEMA explaining the circumstance. You should include documentation from the insurance company proving that you filed the claim. If you filed your claim over the telephone, you should include the claim number, the date when you applied, and the estimated time it will take to receive your settlement. Any help awarded to you by FEMA would be considered an advance and must be repaid to FEMA once an insurance settlement is received.

Your insurance settlement is insufficient to meet your disaster-caused needs. If you have received the maximum settlement from your insurance and still have an unmet disaster-caused need, you will need to write a letter to FEMA indicating your unmet need. You will also need to send in the claim settlement documentation from your insurance company for review.

You have exhausted the Additional Living Expenses provided by your insurance company. If you have received the maximum settlement from your insurance for Additional Living Expenses (Loss of Use) and still need help with your disaster-caused temporary housing need, write a letter to FEMA indicating why you continue to have a temporary housing need. You will also need to provide documentation to prove use of Additional Living Expenses from insurance, and a permanent housing plan.

You are unable to locate rental resources in your area. The FEMA Helpline (1-800-621-3362 / TTY (800) 462-7585) can provide you online resources so you can search for a rental unit.

What Happens During The Home Inspection?

After you have completed an application for assistance, an inspector from FEMA will need to visit your home to check disaster caused damages. If you need accommodation such as a sign-language interpreter, contact the FEMA Helpline (1-800-621-3362 / TTY (800) 462-7585) to request services during your inspection.

First, it’s important to ask inspectors for their FEMA identification so you protect yourself from scammers. Inspectors are contractors, not FEMA employees, but they will carry FEMA ID and they have passed a background check. Never give them credit card or bank account information — there is no fee charged for inspections and they do not collect this data.

The on-site home inspection generally takes anywhere from 10-40 minutes. A home inspection is needed to verify and assess the damages listed in your application. Inspectors will record damages, but do not make decisions on your assistance. Inspections will examine structural damage to your home, but are not designed to capture every detail of damage. The inspector may take some photos of your home to document damages. They will also assess damage to necessary items such as the furnace, water heater, washer, dryer, refrigerator, stove, and your utilities. Inspectors also gather information about other needs, such as lost or destroyed clothing, and damaged children’s items. You should identify all known damage and tell the inspector if you have a septic system or well. The inspector will not enter areas that are potentially unsafe.

When the inspector visits your home, someone 18 years of age or older who lived in the household prior to the disaster must be present. The inspector will ask to see:

  • Photo identification.
  • Proof of ownership/occupancy of damaged residence. (Visit our page on ownership and occupancy proof requirements for more information.)
  • Insurance documents: home and/or auto (structural insurance/auto declaration sheet).
  • List of household occupants living in residence at time of disaster.
  • All disaster-caused damages to both real and personal property.

Other Resources

Coping with Disaster – Free Resource for Kids

The American Red Cross has developed several free resources that adults can use with children to help them build resilience and cope with emergencies.

SBP Live Webinars for Hurricane Sally Survivors – The hour long session will cover working with insurance companies to file claims, navigate FEMA & SBA, working with contractors, and the “how-to’s” of cleaning mold.

Register for Navigating Disaster Recovery.

  • September 22, 5PM
  • September 24, 12PM
  • September 29, 6PM
  • October 1, 12PM

SBP Disaster Preparedness at Home – 20-Homeowners Resource Guide – Preparedness at Home

SBP Disaster Assistance Process – 20-Disaster Assistance with Covid-19-update

SBP Protect Against Contractor Fraud – 20-Protect Against Contractor Fraud

SBP Mold Remediation Guide – 20-Mold Remediation Guide

Small Business Disaster Resources

The US Chamber of Commerce Foundation, in partnership with UPS, developed Resilience in a Box. Resilience in a Box program is based on best practices and designed to educate business leaders on disaster preparedness and business resilience.

Covid-19 Information – Click here for Coronovirus Resources